About the Bulgarian Rose Oil
Bulgarian Rose Oil is the essential oil extracted from the petals of one of the rarest flowers in the world, which is called the Rose Damascena. This special variety of roses is cultivated and harvested only in the region of the Rose Valley, also popular as the “Bulgarian Rose Valley”. The pure genuine Bulgarian Rose Oil is with no doubt one of the most precious essential oils in the world. Thanks to its amazing properties and multiple applications in skin care, it is widely used in the medicine, in the aromatherapy and in the fine perfumery.
One kilogram of rose oil is usually produced from 3000 to 3500 kilograms of rose blossoms from the Damascena variety. It makes around one and a half million of petals. If you boil oil from the Alba variety, you will need 5000 kilograms of petals. And if you use some other varieties, you will need between 5000 and 10000 kilograms of petals.
About 283 components are found in the composition of the Bulgarian rose oil. They are divided into two types of substances. These are the carriers and fixatives of scent. The carriers of scent is the liquid part of the oil that is called elaeoptene. The fixatives of scent are solid at room temperature and odorless, but they fix the scent and make it durable. Out of the numerous components of the elaeoptene the ones with rose scent are citronellol, geraniol, nerol, phenyl ethyl alcohol, but the typical rose odour is formed by the presence of microelements.
There are numerous rose distilleries in the area of Kazanlak that produce different products based on the rose extract. In Our Rose Festival Tours we always include visits to rose distilleries, where before our eyes the petals turn into rose oil.
Did you know about the Bulgarian Rose Oil Interesting Facts
- The roses bloom only once a year. The harvest period is in late May, early June
- The rose petals have to be collected between 5 and 11 am
- After noon the concentration of rose oil evaporates from the petals and part of it goes down to the stem
- To produce one kilogram (1200 ml) of rose oil is necessary around 3500 kilograms. It makes one and a half million of petals
- The price of one kilogram of rose oil is between 6500 and 7000 euro
- Main buyers of Bulgarian rose oil are France, the USA and China
- The main role of the rose oil in the perfumes is to fix the smell on the skin